About us - Contact us

DeskDemon
DeskDemon UK Click here for DeskDemon UK 
 Browse Forum Recent Topics  

Welcome to the DeskDemon Forums
You will need to Login in or Register to post a message. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New bosses  (Read 16779 times)
Atlanta Z3

View Profile
« on: January 15, 2012, 06:46:17 pm »

My new boss starts tomorrow. Wish me luck!
On another note we have rearranged who the admins support, so I have two new bosses. I worked on a major project with one already, so I know him already and think fit will be a good fit for both of us.  However he has a problem with items getting over looked. He has two folders of printed email one red for hot projects and a green one for items not to forget. It doesn't really seem to be working for him. I suggested outlook calendaring which he said he tried but didn't work. Does anyone have suggestions for keeping this busy attorney up to date?  I'm wondering if something in share point will help
I am going to set up a weekly meeting on his calendar for admin review

msmarieh
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 05:00:43 pm »

Hope it goes well! Smiley
Sunflower

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 11:29:28 am »

Hi Atlanta - I am new here - hello :-)

I do hope your job is going well and I would love to hear how it is working out for you now you are working for two people - which I know can be a bit of a challenge! Did you manage to schedule weekly meetings?
gee4

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 12:30:37 pm »

Would be interested to hear how Outlook calendars don't work for him!!
Atlanta Z3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 06:12:21 pm »

Gee - older attorneys do not tend to be tech savvy.

New boss is working out well.  He started on a holiday (one of our floating holidays) so his first day was a good day to start.  I had his office ready (had to move the library), laptop, cell on order.  We spent the day getting access to our all internal programs, travel profile, printer access and the like.  I came off looking organized and he hit the ground running.  Only glitch was delay in cell phone, due to no mail holiday.  But it showed up the next day.  We are still acclimating to each other, but I have good thoughts.
The other new boss, who was already here is keeping me very busy, so far it's not a juggling act, but I expect that soon.
I'm looking forward to a positive outcome!
Brighton Rock

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 12:19:28 pm »

Slowly-slowly, Atlanta.   Grin

Your boss is employed for his knowledge and skill as a lawyer, not computer know-how.  It isn't an ideal situation, and perhaps you have to dedicate quite a bit more time to certain aspects of supporting him, but you can teach him.

My current boss had basic computer skills when I began working with her. I've taught her quite a number of things, especially using Outlook, that she has found useful.  I've managed it on the basis of "when I'm not here, you will be able to do XYZ".   It all depends, I suppose, on how receptive people are.

Good luck!

Best wishes,

Brighton Rock
gee4

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 12:40:24 pm »

I don't buy that...everyone should have basic IT skills as regards MS Office.

The whole point of using Outlook Email and Calendars is pretty obvious.  If employees were trained properly their day would run smoother and time management wouldn't be an issue.

We don't have time for such lack of knowledge here...we hit the ground running everyday.  If for example I was held back because someone didn't know how to send a meeting request, then nothing would get done.

Help yourself to help others - simples.

What is modern technology about, if not to help us manage our day better?!
Brighton Rock

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 01:15:34 pm »

Perhaps you don't "buy" it, Gee, but there is always another side to matters.

However, thank you for your refreshingly frank input.  I'm sure Atlanta appreciates it very much.

Best wishes,

Brighton Rock
gee4

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 02:06:10 pm »

It's lazy, no matter what your job, to "plead ignorance" about IT matters.  I bet he/she uses email at home and is quite savvy when they want to be.

It amazes me that the knowledge shared on DD, doesn't get passed on to colleagues, bosses etc.
msmarieh
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 04:18:52 pm »

When you are the boss you can plead ignorance all you like. It's quite common here for older executives in particular to not have technology knowledge. The fact that you think it should be otherwise doesn't mean that it happens. Sometimes we have to be tactful and respectful of their limitations. More importantly, although WE think it would save them time and effort, unless THEY think that, it is irrelevant.
gee4

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 04:24:35 pm »

None of the companies I have worked for operate like that, especially the IT ones! Wink
gee4

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 04:32:17 pm »

And for info, there are many individuals in my company aged 60+ who are required to use internal applications in order to do their job, from the top down and vice versa.

No one here would get away with pleading ignorance nor use "respecting others' limitations" as an excuse, that's not an option.  You enroll on a course and learn what you is expected of you to do your job.

I didn't think you believed people had limitations Marie, since you are always posting goals and asking what ours are.  I thought the sky was the limit?

Interesting...
JessW

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 05:43:34 pm »

Grin Here here, Gee.

Here we do not have any legal bods who are computer-naive.  They learn or they don't last long (some are well over the 50 year mark and can do it for themselves quite easily (yep, in the legal field!)
Atlanta Z3

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 06:38:21 pm »

I would like to work at Gee's company.  I have not worked for many bosses who are computer savvy.  They can do the basic email and internet search.  Some had a few more word skills or the CFO types had spreadsheet skills.  While it might not be allowed in your company it is quite common.  I think the mind set is to let the admin do admin tasks retaining the executive's time.  Look at most CEO want ads: calendaring is usually one of the first items.  I look at it as job security.  As for teaching, I tactfully offer those skills, it can seem pushy and like you don't want to do your job.  However I'm always available to fix documents or settings!

gee4

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2012, 07:30:08 pm »

Absolutely Jess.  Not a single person would survive if they couldn't use the tools to do their job in my company or anywhere else I have worked.

How or why would anyone not want to read and reply to their own emails relating to a business matter?

Of course I'm available also, as Atlanta says, to format documents or fix something, but I'm not there to spoon feed or do someone's job for them.

You will need to Login in or Register to post a message.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: