About us - Contact us

DeskDemon
DeskDemon UK Click here for DeskDemon UK 
 Browse Forum Recent Topics  

Welcome to the DeskDemon Forums
You will need to Login in or Register to post a message. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Down time? What down time??  (Read 10211 times)
countrigal
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: March 08, 2012, 08:56:38 pm »

Ok, so a different post got me to thinking, and just because I like to connect with everyone and haven't heard from a lot of y'all in YEARS!   Smiley  So... what do you do in your down time?  I do mean down time, as in personal, non-mommy, non-wifey, non-PA time? 

I know I don't have much of that time, but some of you may already know that I picked up a new hobby about 4 years ago when I started bellydancing.  And now I take time every week (it's increased to up to 2 hours one night a week) to get away from my kids, my husband, my work, and I gather with other students and we dance.  We also perform around town for a variety of functions, and I have actually been paid to bellydance at a grand opening of a restaurant here in town (with 2 other ladies).  This is a great relaxation for me, gives me a chance to connect to other women, to laugh and joke, and get toned and healthier at the same time.  Makes me a happier person, and I was able to stop seeing my therapist and stop some meds she had me on, all because of the endorphins that I get from this time for me.  And I get to dress up in fun clothes and have a lot of fun moving!!!

So there's my little secret for my down time... what's yours?  Share, share, share away!!   Grin
diamondlady
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 09:04:19 pm »

Down time?  When given the chance, I head to water aerobics at the high school pool in the winter months for exercise, then in the Summer it's outside in my own pool and out to my compeition pumpkin patch which takes tons of time to properly grow a monster.  My largest pumpkin to date 938.5 back in 2008.  Hoping to break that record this year.  It's fun in the winter months as there are seed auctions online about every weekend right thru til Spring.  If you don't have a good seed by now chances are you missed out on some good online auctions to get a deal or two or three.  It's all good fun and I'm outside playing in the dirt, even better! 
raindance

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 09:19:03 pm »

Oh my!  I remember that pumpkin!  Belly-dancing sounds great fun, too. 

I do a lot of walking.  That's my downtime. I love wide open spaces and feeling the wind in my hair.
gee4

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 09:30:24 pm »

I may have a different view of down time, it's an Americanism, no?

It's what I call "me" time, and while that may sound selfish, it is what it is.  It's time to myself to relax and unwind, chill out and not think about work.

For me that comes in many ways, salon treatments, shoppping, lunch or night out with friends, cinema, theatre, reading, watching a movie or sporting event.

I try to be active and go walking but I'm not really an outdoor person, so that tends to be more of an activity for the spring/summer months when it's warmer and the weather is drier.
Brighton Rock

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 11:01:28 am »

Downtime ... I have a pretty full calendar outside work. 

With several children,  although some away at school and university during term-time, I'm kept somewhat busy on the home-front.  There are events for parents, prize days and so on to attend.  I love singing in my choir.  We practice and perform once a week. 

My husband works long hours, both at his work place and home, but we do spend a lot of time together and still have "dates" even after about a hundred years of marriage which is rather fun.  We like walking, too, for relaxation, as well as swimming and playing tennis.

I like the arts very much.  I tend to see most of the big exhibitions in London if I can, theatre not so much, concerts yes (everything from classical to jazz). 

I come to work in between all this activity.

countrigal
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 03:44:56 pm »

Diamondlady... I love seeing the pics each year of your pumpkins, and it's starting to look like next year we'll be planting some and seeing what we get, though we are not going competitive, it'll just be for the fun of seeing how big we can grow one.  They little ones love your pics and want to see what they can do.   Smiley
Raindance... walking is fun, especially outside in nice weather.  Hearing the sounds of nature (and not traffic) is also great relaxation.
Gee... your idea of down time is exactly what I was referring to.  I do have down time, ie: not work, and not work related, in which I have to do mommy things for my kids (which I do enjoy, don't get me wrong) or wifey things, but like you said that "me time" is what I was looking for.  What a great variety you have available!  Such fun!!! I haven't been to the movies in years -- may need to see about doing that soon.
Brighton Rock... I think our calendars match up very well.  I joke that I come to work to relax and get a break from the home-front busy-ness.  With 4 kids ranging from 23 to 6, and the youngest two very active, I am kept extremely busy with them.  This year I took up as a Scout Leader for the youngest, so that has added to my time but has given me so many blessings with not only my own children, but the other boys in my Den.  Wouldn't trade it for the world, but it does get exhausting.  My hubby and I also have date nights, just to ensure we have time to connect as a couple and not lose ourselves in the parenting roles.

To show my versatility... last summer my husband and I bought a Harley Davidson motorcycle.  So now I'm learning to ride a bike, and hopefully sometime this summer we will get a 2nd Harley, and hubby and I will start going on bike rides with friends on a weekend afternoon.  The little ones are getting older, able to start doing a bit more with less direct supervision, so that's opening up time for myself and my hubby to find other activities to do, and we love to be outside.  Talk about the wind in your hair!  Cheesy      So my friends around here give me a lot of good-natured ribbing about belly dancing (something soft and feminine) and being a bike rider (more hard-core and brassy), and wondering what kind of personality split I may be having.  Smiley   Personally, I'm loving every moment of every busy, eventful day that I get to spend with my family and friends... and work is a small price to pay to get to enjoy those moments.   Wink
Brighton Rock

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 05:35:24 pm »

Countrigal,  I have six children.  Two are identical twins, so that's a sort of "job lot".  They are the last in line.  After number three, I thought well ... it's just another round of baby things. 

I'm lucky to have well-behaved children, sensible, grounded and reasonably polite.  They can be very lively sometimes like any kids, but it's good to have a large family, even when what seems like an army of other people's children takes over my sitting room and eats me out of house and home. 

gee4

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 06:51:45 pm »

CG,

Couldn't not be without a good movie or a bio/autobio.  It's the only time I'm not likely to put a book down!
Katie G

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 08:46:36 pm »

I LIVE for my Thursday night choir rehearsals.  I definitely get a much needed "recharge" to get me through Friday.   The mental exercise is so different compared to what I do during the day, particularly if we're working on something difficult. 

I also crochet when the mood hits me.
msmarieh
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 10:21:14 pm »

I don't especially have downtime. I get charged up helping others - so I teach classes, lead strategic planning seminars, mentor, etc.

Right now, I am serving as my IAAP Division President-Elect, chairing our annual meeting, giving two seminars this month, leading a CAP study group for my IAAP division, preparing to lead a CAP study group for work, sitting for the CAP exam in May, preparing to take the Registered parliamentarian exam and finishing up Office 2010 certification exams.

On the home side, I guess my canning, baking, and gardening would fill what little downtime I can squeeze in. Smiley

Downtime? What's that? LOL
dettu

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 02:24:47 am »

I play in orchestras and musical groups. I'd rather not get more specific on a public forum, but it is the MOST fun I have in my life. I'm also enthusiastic about working out and I hit the gym 5 or 6 days a week. I love yoga and try to fit it in once a week or more. This summer we're going to build a raised bed and grow a few vegetables. And of course I'm a mom, with a kid not old enough to drive yet, so I'm forever driving somewhere. And we cook a lot of ethnic food from scratch, so I spend quite a bit of Saturday and Sunday in the kitchen. I'm actually so busy outside work, I sometimes think of stepping back a little from my personal life...but I LOVE my personal life and don't want to give up any of my fun stuff.
JessW

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 02:28:47 pm »

Downtime?  Huh   Huh

Ah, now I understand.

I sleep for a maximum of 4 hours every night - that is my down time (no, seriously, chance would be a fine thing.  Even when I am saying I am going to do nothing, that is usually a way of covering up doing everything for everyone else!).  Angry
Chatham Lady

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 03:16:23 pm »

Hi all on a lovely sunny Monday where I am today.  I'm a busy working parent with 2 kids plus partner but enjoy reading most of all to escape and switch myself off from everything.  I'm going to revisit doing tapestry as well as I used to love doing that to relax and making something nice at the same time.
peaches2160

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 01:48:29 am »

Spending me time this week and time with my hubby catching up on projects.  That's my downtime:-)

You will need to Login in or Register to post a message.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: